Insects, both good and bad, would love to make your growing environment a place to live and reproduce. Here are some good tips and guidelines to keeping the bad insects out:
- Use HEPA filters on any outside air coming into the growing environment.
- Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Keep everything in the growing area cleaned up and organized.
- Routinely check leaves and substrates for anything moving. Some pests can be microscopic and a magnifying glass can be necessary.
- Don’t get clones or plants from unreliable sources.
- Clean things that are shared between growers or you get from the local grow shop.
- Be careful with certain soils and coco coir sources that can already have pests living and breeding inside of the substrate.
If you find out you have an unwanted pest, the earlier you catch the problem the better. Rotate safe insecticidal soaps, neem oil and plant extracts to keep the insect populations under control.